92. How Do I Remove An Orphaned Entry In The
Add/Remove Program Window
When you install an application in Windows XP the
software also adds an uninstall option. This is
usually stored in the Add/Remove programs section of
the Control Panel. When you want to remove the
application you simply go to Add/Remove programs,
click on the application you want to remove and away
it goes. Sometimes, however, although the
application disappears, the entry still remains in
the Add/Remove list. Here is how you remove it.
Before making any changes to the registry it is
recommended that you make a backup copy of your
registry either from within the registry Editor (see
662. How do I backup the Registry in Windows XP
- Click the Start button.
- On the Start menu click Run.
- In the Run dialogue box type: regedit
and then click OK.
- The Registry window will now open.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Now scroll down the list until you see the
Display Name of the application you
want to remove.
- Click on the Display name.
- A list should now appear in the Right
Hand pane of the registry window.
- Look down the list for the option uninstallstring.
- Right click on the Uninstallstring
option and, from the drop down menu select Delete
to delete the entry.
- Finally Exit from the