35. How Do I Disable Notification Area
While balloon tips do serve a purpose, especially
for the new comer to Windows XP, they can, and very often are,
more of a hindrance than a help. Here is how you can
get rid of them.
You are about to make changes to your registry.
Before proceeding it is wise to backup your registry
just in case an error occurs. One of the easiest
ways of backing up and restoring the registry is by
using a third party software called Erunt. This can
be downloaded from:
Alternatively, you can check out our own
How Do I Backup The Registry In Windows XP
Once you have backed up your registry you are
ready to make the necessary changes to disable the
area balloon tips.
To disable notification area balloon tips,
proceed as follows.
- Click the Start Button.
- From the Start Menu click Run.
- In the Run dialog box type: Regedit.
- Windows XP's Registry editor will now open.
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\
- Right Click the Advanced folder and, from the drop down menu, select
- Clicking New will display another drop down menu.
- Click DWORD Value.
- Right click on the 'new value'
item and select Rename.
- Rename the item 'EnableBalloonTips'
(without the quotes).
- Right click the
EnableBalloonTips and, from the drop down
menu, select the Modify option.
- The value should be 0 (zero)
If it is 1 (one) then change it to
- Finally close the registry