110. How Do I Restore Missing Time Zones
The time zones are important for making
sure your PC’s clock runs correctly. However, there
are occasion when only one time zone is available in
the Time Zone option of the Date and Time Properties
box. The cause of this problem is usually a registry
key containing time zone information that is
missing. To remedy the problem proceed as follows.
It should be noted that to repair this problem
you will need access to another computer running Windows XP. The reason for this is that
you will need to export a registry key from this
‘other’ PC to a floppy disk or other back-up media
and then Import it into your own machine.
- From another Windows XP Machine
click the Start button.
- From the Start Menu Click Run.
- In the Run Dialogue box type: regedit.
- The registry editor will now open.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Highlight Time Zone and then
Click File on the main Toolbar.
- From the drop down menu select Export.
- The Export Registry Window
Appears. Type in a name for the file you intend to
Export and save it
to a floppy disk (the file size is
- Now close down the registry editor.
- Take the floppy disk back
home with you and boot up your own pc.
- Follow steps 1 through
- Insert the floppy
disk with your Time Zone exported file on
into your floppy drive.
- At step 5, again highlight
the Time Zone key then click
File on the main toolbar and, from
the drop down menu select Import.
- The Import registry File Window
- Navigate to the floppy drive and locate the
Zone File and then click on the file.
- A message should now appear saying you have
successfully imported the registry key into the
- Finally Exit the Windows
- You should now have your full compliment of