36. How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt
There may be an occasion when you boot up your PC
that you receive an error message such as HAL.DLL
file is corrupt or missing. In many cases this can
simply be a misconfiguration in the Boot.ini file
and can easily be corrected by instigating a
- Place your Windows XP CD
into your CD-ROM and Reboot your PC.
- XP's setup program will automatically start
and files will be loaded to memory.
- When you reach the Welcome to Setup
screen choose the Repair option by
- This will start the Recovery console
and the list of Windows installations will
- As you only have one installation on your PC
you need to press the number which is relevant
to your installations location. This, obviously
will typically be 1.
- Type in your Administrator password.
If you are using Windows XP Home edition the
administrator password is blank by default so
simply press Enter.
- Now type: bootcfg /list.
- A list will now appear of all the entries in
your boot.ini file.
- Next type: bootcfg /rebuild.
- Your boot.ini file should
now be repaired.
- Finally remove your XP CD
from the CD-ROM and then type Exit.
- Reboot your machine to see
if the the problem has been cured.