18. How Do I Remove MSN Messenger From
Whenever you open Outlook Express MSN messenger
always opens and attempts to log on to the Internet.
To prevent this from happening proceed as follows:
- Click the Start button.
- Next click Run.
- In the Run dialog box type:
- The registry editor window will open.
- Click on the plus sign
next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to
expand the contents of this folder.
Repeat the process by
clicking on the plus sign of the following
- On the right hand side of the screen in
the Outlook Express folder you will see a list
- Look for the Value Name: Hide
- If this doesn't exist then right click on
the Outlook Express folder and select,
- From the drop down menu select
- A New Value box will
appear in the right hand screen. Right
click on this and select Rename.
- Rename the value to: Hide
- Now double click on the option
- In the Edit DWORD value
window change the Value Data from 0
to 2 to remove messenger.
- The screen should look something like
- Value Name: Hide Messenger
- Data Type: REG_DWORD
- Value Data: 0x00000002 (2)
- Exit the registry
editor. Your PC may need to restart before the
changes take effect.
- You may find that Hotmail becomes rather
slow after disabling Messenger.