94. How Do I Re-Install The Windows Help And
Re-installing the Windows Help and Support module
is relatively straightforward. However, you do need
a retail copy of the Windows XP CD. If your PC was
supplied with recovery disks then you will not be
able to use this option. Also, since the
introduction of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), as
soon as you click on Install XP will ask for the SP2
CD to locate the file dataspec.xml.
This file cannot actually be found on the stand
alone SP2 CD so you cannot proceed any further. A
way round the problem is to slipstream (See Question
83 How Do I Create A Slipstream CD Of Windows XP And
Service Pack 2 (SP2)). You effectively create a
'new' Windows XP CD that incorporates service pack
2. If you then insert this CD into your CD-Rom
Windows should locate the dataspec.xml
file it requires and Help And Support should install
- Log on to your computer as
- Click Start button.
- In the Start menu click Run.
- In the Run dialogue box type: %systemroot%\inf
and click OK.
- In the list of files that appear look for
the PCHEALTH.inf file.
- Right Click on this file
and, from the drop down menu, select
- The Windows Help and Support Feature should