39. How Do I Rectify A Missing Or Corrupt
Another error message that you may occasionally
get is a missing or corrupt ntoskrnl. Like
most of these type of problems it is usually a
simple case of copy an new copy from your XP CD to
your hard drive.
- Place your Windows XP CD
into your CD-ROM and Reboot your PC.
- XP's setup program will automatically start
and files will be loaded to memory.
- When you reach the Welcome to Setup
screen choose the Repair option by pressing
- This will open the Recovery Console.
- The list of Windows installations will
- As you only have one installation on your PC
you need to press the number which is relevant
to your installations location. This, obviously
will typically be 1 (one).
- You now need to enter your
Administrator password to gain access.
If you are using Windows XP Home edition the
administrator password is blank by default so
simply press Enter.
- At the command prompt
change to the drive letter that contains your
- Next type: cd i386
- The directory should now change to the
- At the command prompt you
now need to type: expand ntkrnlmp.ex_C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
- The relevant file should now be expanded and
copies to the windows\system32
directory of your C:\ drive.
- Finally, remove the Windows XP cd
from your CD-ROM and, at the command
prompt type: Exit.