21. How Do I Locate The Backup Utility In XP
It is amazing how the things you come to rely on
are always well hidden without any instruction on
how to access them. This is particularly true of the
Windows Backup Utility in Windows XP Home. I have
always found it rather nonsensical to have the
Backup Utility automatically installed in Windows XP
Professional, yet leave the utility on the CD in XP
Home. However, help is at hand!
If you don't have a Windows XP CD you can
download a copy of NTBackup.msi from the following
Alternatively try your PC manufacturer's website.
Many PC Manufacturer's have download copies of the
NTBackup file on their support websites.
- Insert your XP CD into your
- Hold the Shift key down
during the initial CD spin up to prevent the the
CD's Auto Run application from running. All you
want to do is Browse the CD, not run setup.
- Open Windows Explorer and
click on plus sign next to your
CD-ROM drive letter.
- The directory folders on your CD should now
- First Look for a folder called
- Click on the VALUEADD
folder to open it.
- Within this folder you should see another
folder called MSFT.
- 8/ Click on the MSFT folder
to open it.
- When the folder opens you should see a file
- Click the NTBACKUP file to
setup the backup utility.
- After the backup utility has been installed
you can launch it by clicking on Start