54. How Do I Disable The Windows XP Splash
The windows splash screen looks quite elegant as
you boot up your machine but, at the same time, it
does hide valuable information. Beneath this
superficial cover a host of other things are going
on which are invisible to the user. As each and
every action XP undertakes the detail is recorded on
the screen beneath the Windows Splash Screen. If you
feel you want to know what drivers are being loaded
and everything else that is happening during the
loading of XP you can easily disable the Windows
- Click the Start button.
- From the Start menu Right Click My Computer.
- From the drop down menu select, Properties.
- In the My Computer Properties Windows click
the Advanced Tab.
- From the Advanced tab click
the Settings button in the section
marked 'Startup and Recovery'.
- Once the Startup and Recovery window has
opened click the Edit button.
- A copy of your Boot ini file
will now open in notepad.
- Take a look at the contents of the boot ini
file and you should see a line which looks like
Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
- To the end of this line add the following:
- The line should now look like this:
Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
- Now go to File on the main
notepad toolbar and click Save to
save your changes.
- Close Notepad and
Exit the other open windows.
- When you restart your PC you
will simply see a list of drivers, etc as they load.
The splash screen will no longer be visible.
- To re-enable the splash
screen follow the instructions above and
remove the /SOS