119. How Do I Create A New User Account
User profiles are a convenient way of enabling
other people to use the same PC while retaining
their own privacy, settings and desktop
layout. A profile also enables the user to password
protect their particular settings, thus preventing
other user's, unless they too know the password,
from viewing or changing the current user settings.
Profiles also enable the system administrator to restrict what
each user can change on the system. For example,
installing software or changing hardware
configurations, etc. As a general rule it is wise
that each user profile has its own password.
To create a new user account proceed as follows:
- Make sure you are logged on to your PC as Administrator.
- Click the Start button.
- From the Start Menu click
- In the Control Panel Windows
click the User Accounts Icon.
- In the User Accounts Window
under the Pick A Task section,
click Create a New Account.
- On the next screen type into the New
Account dialogue box the name you want to
call the account, i.e., James, and then press the
- The next screen enables you to Pick an
Account type. There are two types
- If you want to give the user full control select
Administrator. If, on the other
hand, you have children or don't wish the user to
have full control select Limited
instead. Now Click the Create Account
- Your new user account profile has now been