05. How Do I Clear Windows Paging File at
You may not consider clearing the windows paging
file as a necessary part of your security
housekeeping. Ok it can add quite a few seconds to
your final shutdown time, but it doesn't need to be
done on a regular basis and you can always disable
the option as and when you want.
But why clear the paging file you may ask. Well
the simple answer is security. It is not unknown for
a third party software application to temporarily store
unencrypted information such as passwords or other
sensitive material in memory. Obviously the way
Windows uses virtual memory it is possible for this
information to end up in the paging file.
To clear the file proceed as follows:
- Click Start button.
- Next Click Run
- In the Run dialog box type:
- In the Registry Editor Window navigate to
- In the list that appears on the right of the
Registry window look for the Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown.
- If the Value does not exist Right Click on the
Memory Management key and, from the drop
down menu select New.
- When you click New another
drop down menu will appear. Click DWORD
- You should now see a box with the wordsNew Value#1.
- Right click on this box and
- In the rename box Type:
- After you have renamed the value, right click on it again and select
- Change the Value to 1.
- The registry entry should now look like this:
- The changes will not come into effect until
you have re-started your computer.
- To disable the feature just re-set the Value