28. How Do I Add/Remove 'Supplied By <Your
ISP> From Internet Explorer Title Bar
There are occasions, particularly when you are an
OEM copy of Windows or when you install your ISP’s
dial up software, when your Internet Explorer
Browser has the words ‘Supplied by, followed by the
name of your ISP or PC Manufacturer.’ Not everyone
is keen on having their browser title bar hijacked
simply to advertise their ISP or PC manufacturer.
Fortunately, if your PC is running a copy of
Windows XP Professional you can easily remove this
intrusive advertising by using one of two methods.
The first will only work with Windows XP
Professional because it uses the GPEDIT application.
The second method requires the user to edit the
registry. This can be used for both Windows XP Home
and Professional editions.
METHOD ONE - Windows XP Professional Only.
- Click the Start Button.
- Select Run.
- In the Run dialog box type: gpedit.msc
- This will open the Group Policy window.
- On the left of the window you will see a list
of options. Select User Configuration
and click on the plus sign to
expand the menu.
- Next click the plus sign next to the option
marked Windows Settings.
- The Windows settings menu will expand.
- Now click the plus sign next
to the Internet Explorer Maintenance
- From the drop down menu select Browser User Interface.
- Having clicked on the Browser User Interface
option you should now see three options in the right
hand pane of the Group Policy window.
- Right click on the Browser Title
option and select Properties.
- The Browser Title Window
- If you want to Add a title
place a check mark in the ‘Customise Title
- This will now enable the Title Bar
- Type the text you require into the Browser Title box.
- After completing the title, press
- Next click OK.
- Finally close the Group
- To Remove a title from the browser bar simply
delete the text in the title bar dialog box. Click
the Apply button followed by OK. Finally close the
Group Policy Window.
METHOD TWO - Windows XP Home and Professional.
If this option does not work you can always
attempt the following. Please note, however, that
this second method requires you to edit the
registry. Do make sure that you have backed up your
registry BEFORE making any alterations.
- Click the Start button.
- Next click Run.
- In the Run dialog box type: Regedit
- The Registry editor will now open.
- To edit the Windows Title for Outlook Express
navigate to the following registry key:
- From the list of items that appear in the
right hand pane locate Windows Title.
- 7/ Right click on this option and select
- Now Delete 'Microsoft Outlook express
Supplied by XXXX' from the Value
Data dialog box.
- To remove the title bar from Windows
Explorer proceed as above but navigate to
- Once again locate the Windows Title
option and right click on it, select Modify
and then delete 'Microsoft Windows Explorer
Supplied by XXXX' from the value
data dialog box.
- Finally close the registry