The Windows Firewall is, to say the least,
pretty basic. However it is rather more
configurable than the XP's original Internet
Connection Firewall. If you are unable to access
a particular web site it may be that the
firewall is blocking incoming traffic from that
site. In this case you need to use the
exceptions facility in Windows Firewall to
correct the problem.
To Add A Program
- Click Start Button.
- Next Click on the Control
- In Control Panel click the
Windows Firewall icon.
- Once the Windows Firewall Window
opens click the Exceptions
- To Add a Program click the
Add Program Button.
- The Add a program window will open.
- Either select the
program you wish to add from the list
provided or click the Browse
button to locate the program.
- Once the program has been selected
click Ok to add it to the
To Add A Port
- Follow instructions 1
through 4 above (Add A
- Click the Add Port
- The Add Port dialog window will
- In the Dialog box first type a
name to remind you of the ports
- Next type the number
of the port you wish to use in the Port
- The following will give you some idea
of the relevant ports. Alternatively check
the documentation that came will the
software/hardware you are using.
||20 or 21
- Make sure the TCP or
IDP (whichever option you
need) is enabled.
- Now Click OK to add
the port to the exceptions list.
- Finally Exit the